Sunday, August 14, 2011

Old Skool Mama....Nuff said...

For the mamas and grandmothers who raised us....

For staying up late with us while we were sick.....

For praying for us day and night while we ran the streets...


This blog post is a bit different from what I normally do, but this must be done. A lot of times we don't give our mothers enough credit. A lot of times our mothers get the bad wrap for being overprotective of us or for being in our business as we grew up. I thank God daily for mama and the old skool mamas for the roles that they have played in my life.

Some of you might be wondering what an old skool mama is...well; an old skool mama is a mama that would take care of you and give you all that you need, but at the same time would tell you to go pick out your own switch and whoop you with it. An old skool mama is a mama that would stay up late with you and rub you down with Vick's vapor rub, but would also pop up at your school without you knowing just to see what you are doing in class.

There are many old skool mamas that aren't even our mothers...such as an aunt, or a cousin, or even a teacher that got us in line when we were heading down a path of destruction. It is important that we all have a mama. My situation was always a little different growing up because my mother is a little older. Funny thing is, a lot of my friends looked at my mother as their mother as well. She seemed to have all the answers to any questions that we asked. She showed all the TLC that you could ask for, but she was firm at the same time...

In the end, with out an old skool mama, a lot of would be in a world of trouble, and a lot of us wouldn't be living today. So when you see an old skool mama or even a younger mother, show them some love, thank them for what they have done. And if you see a child getting out of line...yea, go ahead and get em in line, otherwise, somebody else is...

Share your memories of your old skool mama...afterall, they are our backbones...

2 comments:

  1. I cam remember my 5th and 6th grade year, my teacher Mrs. Brown would always tell my grandmother is I ever got out of line. I would not only get punished by my teacher, but when I got home too my grandma she would get me to. Man I tell ya these days its rare to have teachers that care for ya and know your family like that to have the right too punish you. I thank God for Mrs. Brown cause she is apart of why I am who I am today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! Good job Jonathan! :)

    ReplyDelete